Monday, June 30, 2008

Norman on layoffs

Good Bob Norman column on recent wave of newspaper layoffs.

I am not unsympathetic to the journalists who are losing their livelihoods. I've been there. An ad agency I once worked at shut it's doors. It once employed more than 30 people and by the time it shut down we were down to eight. I never got my last paycheck or my 401k match for that year.

But it's not like this doesn't happen in other fields. Entire industries go extinct, not that journalism is going away. It is evolving rapidly and radically, however. Many of the laid off journalists will not be able to find gainful employment in that industry again. But their training should serve them well in any field that requires critical thinking and excellent writing skills. Many of these people will be able to jump into corporate jobs managing public relations and so forth.

When I was 23 years old, I had what I considered my dream job. I owned a sports gift shop franchise. It was great for about a year until the bottom fell out of the licensed sportswear industry because of increased competition. I lost my ass on that store and combined with an illness and divorce it was the darkest time of my life. But here I am fifteen years later earning five times what I earned back then and working for a great company in an interesting industry.

The sun also rises, Herald people. Good luck to you all.

6 comments:

Daniel @ Campinas said...

Dude talk about dark and revisiting the low points. You might as well have mentioned the part about the (occupational?) lisence and locking the keys in the car!! Like you said, if you look at where you are now, all that seems so long ago it might as well have been another life. Those that sally forth will rise to the top as well.

Anonymous said...

*Denuncia Pública:

Humberto Castelló http://www.nuevoaccion.com/HUMBERTOCASTELLO.jpg es hijo del comandante de la Robo.ilusión, agente de inteligencia y diplomático, Humberto Castelló Sr.
Estudió la carrera diplomática y el espionaje en el ISRI de La Habana. En 1979, con 24 años, comenzó su misión de infiltración pasando a Puerto Rico, donde estudió periodismo y trabajó para el diario El Nuevo Día. Pasó luego a Argentina, terminando su periplo de adiestramiento en Miami, donde comenzó a trabajar para El Nuevo Herald en 1997. En 2001 es nombrado director de El Nuevo Herald, donde el muy hijo de put* -junto con otros “colaboradores” - han venido realizando una labor de zapa hasta el día de hoy.

Humberto Castelló, director de El Nuevo Heral, es un caballo de troya, agente del G-2 y chivato comunista.

Richard Jennings said...

Well About.com just released there top 10 job boards list today -

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/joblistings/tp/jobbanks.htm

We should all study this intently in the coming weeks and months!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, just don't go applying for any copy editing jobs. You guys can't spell worth shit.

Henry Louis Gomez said...

Considering what I charge for copy editing services (zero) you'd have to concede that you're getting what you pay for.

Anonymous said...

Regardlesss of Humberto Castello's political affiliations, he seems at best a lackluster, mousy figure who inspires little confidence and even less admiration.

In any case, if the Cuban regime could infiltrate the Pentagon at a high level for years, you'd better believe it can infiltrate the Herald organization, and I have no doubt it has (also for years). Doing so is a beyond-obvious objective for the Castro crowd.